Friday, February 11, 2005

Even Jesus can't please everybody!

While on my way to my uncle's house (mother's brother), had a brief discussion about church, the length of services and about pastors with my mum and HER aunt (my mother's mother's sister).

My mum was quoting of how her aunt reacted when my mum said that the service was 2 hours, gasping, "wah so long ar, come out earlier la, my church sermon 10 mins only."

But as she sat there, she was so taken aback by the message ministered to her that when the sermon finally concluded, she went, "so fast over already?"

Mum went on to quote her about the whole time in church, how she said she'll walk out in the middle of the sermon or so, sceptical about the preaching and all. After it was all over, she felt as if God had ministered to her through the pastor, and she kept wanting to go back for more.

I liked my church pastor; he talks lots of sense at times, and while some people thinks he's quoting the Bible in his own way, i'll assume that God is working marverlous works through him.

I told my grand-aunt, "Even though we sing praises about the pastor, i still know of some people bashing his style, his preaching and his interpretation of God's Word. Some find themselves outgrowing what pastors have to say about how to live life." (something i feel is a shame, how could one outgrow God's word, or outgrow living in the light of His Word)

My aunt, coming out of her stride of using Manglish, said, "The church will always have its doubters. But what can a pastor do? He can only preach so much on a Sunday. Let's face it, no one can please everybody. Not even Jesus! Even Jesus couldn't please everybody!"

I pondered, and had nothing but to agree. Yes, Jesus was perfect, yet some people were dissatisfied with Him. What more could we want?

Then we talked about persecution and trials, the molding and the journeys. How we often take for granted and think that life is good. We forget that with the persecution, comes the molding and then the end product. But people think that, "No lah.. I go to church all is well, no persecution and sufferings in walking in the Lord's directions."

And my grand-aunt, again, made some sense when she said, "Satan even dared to tempt Jesus, to send people to persecute him and torture him, what more us? If he dared to try to persecute Jesus, why would he not want to do the same unto us?"

Walking in Christ is not easy, and the journey is long and winding. All i can count on is to walk close enough to Jesus, and with Him and through Him, all things are possible.