Thursday, February 03, 2005

Soul food

A man asked a Christian man, "You've been going to church for the last 30 years, do you ever fully remember a single sermon?"

And the Christian man answered. "No, i go to church every Sunday, but truth to tell i can't fully recite to you a sermon preached by the pastor."

So the man asked, "30 years of going to church seem to be in vain i suppose? Were you sleeping?"

The Christian man replied, "No, i was not sleeping. I've been married for 25 years, ate close to 30,000 meals my wife cooked, but i can't remember for the life of me, what my wife cooked for breakfast, lunch and dinner the day before. But what i do know however, is that whatever my wife cooked, i ate with delight, knowing that it nourishes me, fills my hunger and appetite. My wife's cooking has never failed to satisfy me."

He continued, "And the same with my church. Over 30 years, i've listened to more than 1500 sermons, none of which i can fully remember, yet each and every one of these sermons has never failed to encourage me, lift me, inspire me, and nourish me. It fills my spirit with God's wisdom and strength, takes away all disappointment and despair, and provide me with ample courage to share my overflowing cup with others who needed encouragement. God has never left my spirit hungry or my heart heavy, because there is always someone next to me who needs encouragement from my overflowing cup."

What a blessing! And so many times, when God has called upon us to share his Word, we have often failed and shy-ed away from expanding his Kingdom. Sometimes, when we seem to carry heavy hearts, all we need is God's grace to lift us, to give us the courage to share ourselves and our lives with others, that we may be a beacon and light for the world. We should know that life is full of problems, (coming out from your mother's womb was the first major problem) and that God is always here to deliver us from it, and in return we should all share of the goodness of God.

If we think we have the capacity to solve all our problems, we carry with us all the burden of solving all future troubles by ourselves. But if we realise that it is God who carries us during the troubled times in our lives, we see the goodness of God and feel obliged that we share it with everyone. Let us be the light of the world!